AGIS Forums

Go Back   AGIS Forums > AGIS > Grief and loss

Old 05-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Default Please help my mom...

My dad died less than a week ago and I am trying to help my mom through her loss. It was a shock to all of us and my mom is having a hard time being alone. Is there a book for me to look at that has a check off list of things that need to be done or I can do to help her? Nothing was ready so we have scrambled to get a funeral set up that is in the morning as well as take care of canceling all his credit cards and stuff. My dad did all te repairs around the house, so I don't know how she will keep stuff up. Any thoughts on all of this? I had no idea it was so much work and the grief of helping mom and dealing with our own loss is difficult to say the least. If anyone has any words to help please let me know so I can do my best.

Thank you,
Gabrielle
Old 05-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Please help my mom...

Hi Gabrielle:

Sorry for your loss. First, you and your mom should spend a little quality time together for a bit before delving into everything. Take things slowly and breath.

Credit Card companies will give you time to close them as you have the time. Just be sure to keep all death related info in one place for future reference.

Then you both should contact the banks, mortgage company and insurance companies (in your time) together. Official notification documents will be required for the banks and credit card companies and the IRS at end of year. This official information can be gotten from the funeral director. Be sure that they notarize the documents.

If the accounts are to be changed into her name only (suggest you have your name or another relatives name included). Many elderly people lose track of information and if they have another person also responsible she will be safer all around.

Does she have any close friends who might stop by occasionally to visit and chat? If so you might ask them to join you both for breakfast and/or lunch. The hardest time for your mom will be at night when she will feel alone (be fully aware of this). If need be, have someone stay overnight for a while until she becomes comfortable.

Both you and she must let yourself grieve in whatever way makes you feel reliieved (crying helps).

I will check back periodically to see how you are coping and add anything else that comes to mind.

Prayers help!

Richard
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Default Learn from your experience....

In our lives, we suffer a lot.. We walk through on several trials, that causes us to give up. Sometimes we think life is so unfair because of the hindrance we've been through. We struggle a lot to survive, but when things went wrong and everything is gone, we find someone to blame on and ask "why me?"..But things are just not constant, things may come and go, if not today, tommorrow, or never. But we need to value things that comes along our way, looking back the past may serve as our guidance to a new and better path forward..

ďEvery problem has a gift inside. We seek problems because we want their gifts.Ē

http://www.thankgodforebooks.com/lost-father.html