AGIS Forums

Go Back   AGIS Forums > AGIS > My loved one wants to stay home

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 AM

Default Mom wants to keep cooking

My mom loves to cook but I'm worried that's it's no longer safe for her to do so . She's cut herself a couple of times (just minor cuts) and once left a burner on all night. Since it's one of the independent activities she enjoys the most, I'm having a hard time bringing the issue up, but I'm worried about her safety if she continues.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Mom wants to keep cooking

You can buy special knives etc for her to avoid accidents -- my dad loves to cook & uses special tools for his arthritis -- but the thing about leaving the burner on is really troublesome. Can you convince her to continue part of the activity without the actual stove part? I guess that's how I'd begin. Try to take away the really dangerous part of it and if possible let her continue doing the relatively safe part of it. Can you or someone else cook with her to make sure she's safe? Cooking can be a great way for family members to stay connected. Maybe a regularly scheduled cooking night where you and/or others pitch in ... just my rambling thoughts... let me know how it goes.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Mom wants to keep cooking

I was wondering if you feel that cutting herself and leaving the burner on are signs of a larger pattern of forgetfulness? If these are somewhat isolated incidents perhaps setting up some reminder notes or signs could help her remember to check the stove. I like the other suggestion of cooking together as way of giving her the pleasure of it while minikmizing the risk. If the situation is more of forgetting a lot then you may have to take more drastic steps of securing or disabling the stove when you are not around. Tell us a bit more about what's going on.

Janice
Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 PM

There are some safe burners that wouldn't create any fire when left overnight, so I guess you can buy something like that to keep her safe even if she's alone.